Monday, April 11, 2011

Turquoise and Red Triangular Banner Tutorial

My little baby girl is turning three in a few weeks...my how the time has flown!!! In preparation for her birthday, a Dr. Suess inspired birthday party, I went to the craft store and stumbled on some cute polka dot and harlequin scrapbook paper in red and turquoise that I thought would be perfect for her party! So I had this super cute paper and thought that a triangular banner would be a prefect way to use some of the paper. So this is how I did it:

 1. Take out scrapbook paper and lay them out to get an idea of how many pages you will need to make banner - this depends on how you will use it. I am using mine for draping at a candy table and hanging them from a few mirrors in our house as a background display. So I used about 8 pages of scrapbook paper.

 2. Take a pencil, paper cutter and ruler or straight edge or additional card stock (I used a LOFT coupon postcard) to make your triangular lines to cut out with scissors. Used your paper cutter to crop the company logo of the scrapbook paper off as well as cutting the paper in half in preparation to make my triangles.


3. Start making one triangle to try out to see if you liked the size. I was happy the size I made so I took that one and used it as my "stencil" to trace the rest of my triangles,  doing my best to make them as consistent in size as possible. :)



4. After I traced the triangular shape, I cut them out and set them aside. I put all of the patterns and colors into separate piles so I knew how many of each pattern I had in order to start the stringing process. 

5. This was my handsome little helper who ate cheerios and bananas while he watched me make the banner. I just love him!!!

6. After the kiddos went down for a nap, I got out my glue gun and grosgrain ribbon and started to place the triangle paper into a pattern of colors and glued the top of the triangle to the ribbon. 


This is a quick view of the completed banner. I will be sure to post additional photos during the big birthday party. 

This was a super fun and easy project which took me about 1-2 hours. I was able to cut out the paper while my little ones were having breakfast and then I was able to glue the pieces together during their nap time. I was even able to take the scraps of paper and make mini-triangle banners too! I have no idea where they will be in the party decor, but I LOVE them and cannot wait to use them too! Can't wait to share more tips and fun about this little party soon!!! 


2 comments:

  1. These banners always look so cute. I never realized how easy it would be to make. Great tutorial!

    ReplyDelete